Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Early Olney Ancestors - Codicote

http://olneyfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au

The following extracts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer Page 1 - 3.



"Our research goes back to 1549 when William Onye married Agnes Scaune at Chalgrave, Bedfordshire. Their son Richard Olney married Jane Littlepage in 1584 at Woburn, Bedfordshire. They had four children christened there between 1585 and 1593, after that there are no further Olney entries in Woburn. 

Beatrice, daughter of Richard and Jane of Woburn, was baptised in 1590 and married Thomas Wells in 1642 at Luton (her name recorded as Betteris).

However, the Luton parish registers begin in 1603, and in 1605 through to 1612 we find four more christenings for the children of Richard and Jane Olney. It seems probable that the family moved from Woburn to Luton between 1593 and 1605. 
  
There appears to be only one son of Richard and Jane Olney who survived to marry. He was Richard, christened in 1605. Richard married twice. His first wife, Jane (or Jone), had six children and died a few days after giving birth to twin boys, Thomas and Walter, in 1643. Richard's second wife, Amey (Amy, Amie), had seven children before her death in 1697. Richard died in 1684. Richard Olney appears in the Hearth Tax Returns for 1671, possessing a home with two hearths (this tax was based on the number of fireplaces a family had - as reasonable as any other tax!).
 
Three of Richard's children by his first marriage were John, William and Thomas. We see that William and Thomas and their families are mentioned in John’s will dated 1711. The first interesting thing is that he was a butcher of Luton. (The family practiced the butcher's trade for over a century). In his will, John, who apparently was unmarried, mentions his brother Thomas and "kinsman Thos Olney, his son, and Ann and Joane, his daughters." The term kinsman was used to indicate relationship, and here it refers to the children of Thomas (nephew and nieces of John). The will also refers to his kinsman John Olney, son of William (who was another brother of John's).

William was also a butcher and married Elizabeth Carter who died in 1728. Several other Olneys are shown as weavers and butchers up to the 1750s. They had 12 children which included William christened 7 December 1676 and Richard christened 19 May 1682 who married Mary Clarke. 

The author of "From Codicote to Carievale, The Olney Family", A. Gordon Keys has provided a lot of history on the Olneys in the early days. The foremost emphasis is on William Olney (christened 1676) and Sarah Brownsell and their next two generations, Samuel Olney (christened 3 July 1723) and James Olney (christened 6 February 1748). Recent research by Valmai Olney of Perth, Western Australia considers that A. Gordon Keys has mistakenly identified James Olney (christened 6 February 1748) for his cousin James Olney (christened 2 August 1745), the son of Richard Olney and Jane Tomlin. 

The family history then continues, as it should, from James Olney and Anne French to Francis Olney and Elizabeth Irons to Charles Olney and Martha Purser. Because A. Gordon Keys did so much research on the Olneys of that era, and as William and Richard were brothers, information about William and Sarah’s decendants has been included. This helps us understand what life was like in those days. Richard and Mary Clarke remained in Luton while William and Sarah Brownsell moved to Codicote.

In the surviving Manor records of Luton, we have Thos Olney holding land from the Lord of the Manor in 1732 (this is the same Thos mentioned in the will of John Olney). In the 1740s, Richard Olney, butcher, was fined for having an illegal sign over his shop. Richard later bought and sold land in the 1750s.  
   
The Parish Registers of Codicote go back to 1559. These were troubled times in England. The Civil War between the Cavaliers and the Roundheads had led to the establishment of the Commonwealth. Many of the Parish priests were ejected from their position and many people rejected being christened. Christening records were often kept in a separate register, which may not have survived.

Most of us would probably expect that there would be few records from so long ago, but we are fortunate for two reasons. First, the British have always been meticulous in keeping documentation and second,  more im­portantly, they have often been successful in preserving these records from the ravages of time.

For Codicote (and the Olneys), there are three sources from which we can build a reasonably complete picture of the family. These records are the Parish papers - both the registers and the Vestry Book, various land documents and an excellent set of Apprenticeship papers.    

William, born 7 December 1676, settled in Codicote about 1706. He was a butcher by trade and, as we will see later, the family stayed in this trade for many generations. The fact that the family were butchers explains their frequent moves from one parish to another. In a small village there would not be room for more than one butcher, so the sons moved elsewhere to set up or take over an existing business".

Peter & Joy Olney enjoyed their visit to Codicote in 2007

Codicote Green in 2007.  Note Coat of Arms with St Giles Church, Old Dog, "George & Dragon Inn" - all with special significance to the Olney family.
The following extracts are from "The family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer Page 3 - 4.

"The family undoubtedly had some wealth, and in the England of those days wealth was usually in land. With no stock market or other places to invest capital, land was where money could be invested to bring in a steady return from rents, mortgages, produce, etc. Land could also be passed down to the children, ensuring their continued fortune.

The marriage of William Olney to Sarah Brownsell took place on 25 April 1707, in Codicote.

The parish of Codicote is mentioned in the Doomsday Book in 1086 as having a church - St. Albans, and two mills. When the "Black Death" plague struck England in 1348, Codicote was hard hit. By November of that year five tenants had died; by May 1349, there were 59 deaths and a further 25 by December. A St. Alban's monk wrote that pestilence "had halved all flesh". In the Abbey itself the prior, sub-prior and 47 other monks had died.

England had been suffering from overpopulation and the “Black Death” solved, in a rather harsh manner, this problem. In 1350, 15 of the tenements in Codicote were still "in the lord's hands". That is, the lord of the Manor was unable to find anyone to rent them to.
In the old Parish church, parts of which date back to 1108, is the "Old Dog". This is a medieval woodcarving, which perhaps began as the end of a pew, showing a fascinating creature with the head of a monkey, the ears of a bat, the mane of a horse, the tail of a lion, and legs and cloven hooves of a cow. To keep him in his proper place and from working any mischief, the "Old Dog" is held fast by a carved wooden collar around its neck, attached to a stout chain. For those with the courage to pat him, the "Old Dog" is said to bring good luck".


"Old Dog" in St Giles Codicote taken 2007.

"Ole Dog" in St Giles, Codicote taken 2007.
The following extracts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer Page 4.

"Popular belief had it that burial outside the consecrated ground of the churchyard meant a denial of salvation. In the 1700s one who wished such a burial was Sissavernes, the wicked farmer of Codicote. He is supposed to have sworn never to leave his own land, and when he died his body was buried there, on a hill top. Another version of the tale is that the spot was chosen because his bier became so heavy that the horses could not draw it up to the churchyard.

We should note however, that our William was buried within the churchyard.  In the Parish of Codicote, Hertfordshire, we find the following burial record: "1752, Apr.5 - Olney, Mr Wm. Age 77""

St Giles Church at Codicote taken 2007.

Graveyard at St Giles Church Codicote taken 2007.

Christening Font - William & Sarah Olney's 12 children were christened at St Giles Codicote.  View to rear of Church with door to Bell Tower on left.  Taken 2007.

Pulpit St Giles Church Codicote taken 2007



Interior St Giles Church Codicote taken 2007





















Winding Clock in Clock Tower taken 2007

















Bell ringing in St Giles Church Codicote taken 2007




























Codicote has retained many old buildings, including the "The George & Dragon Inn", probably the oldest inn in Hertfordshire (also known as "Coaches and Horses Inn" and presently "As You Like It").


"Coach & Horses Inn" owned by William Olney in 1700s, with Butcher's shop next door.  Also known as "The George & Dragon Inn".  Known as "As You Like It" (Chinese Restaurant) in 2007.
"Codicote Butchers" is next door to "Coach & Horses Inn".  There were many generations of Butchers in the Olney family.


Bell Inn Country Hotel where Peter & Joy Olney stayed while visiting Codicote in 2007.
 
"The Goat" Codicote taken 2007.


"The Old Bull" Codicote taken 2007.

"The Old Bakery" Codicote taken 2007




















The following extracts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer Page 4.

"People from Codicote, on the highroad from Welwyn to Hitchin, have long been known as "Codicote Cutthroats". There is no doubt that this village, which largely still makes its living from road traffic, was in past times a haunt for highwaymen and footpads in search of well-to-do travellers. The best known of the Codicote robbers was William Darvell, called the "Phaeton Highwayman" for his use of that vehicle. William Darvell gathered information about the plans of travellers worth waylaying when they stopped at the “George & Dragon”.  

William Olney and Sarah Brownsell had twelve children christened in the village church. As mentioned, William was undoubtedly someone of importance in the village. We rarely see the use of "Mr." in the Parish registers and then only for someone from the upper class. He was referred to as ''Mr.", not only in his burial entry but also in Sarah's, where she is described as "wife of Mr. Wm."

Our first mention of William is in the Codicote Vestry Book dating from 1692. In 1706, we find him (spelled Willm Owney) charged six shillings and threepence for rates. Over the years his rates increased, as his property holdings grew. By 1714 he was charged one pound five shillings for "Malting" and eleven shillings for the property being rented by Rich Smith. By 1724 he was paying thirteen shillings "for his own" and three pounds fourteen shillings and twopence for "Stagny Hall".

A further clue to his standing in the village is that he was appointed “Overseer of the Poor” in 1708. An overseer was appointed annually and his job was to rate the inhabitants for the “poor” rate, collect the money and apply it to give relief to the poor. In 1712 he was appointed Church Warden. His duties were to protect the edifice of the church, super­intend the celebration of public worship and execute other parochial works. In 1717 he was appointed Surveyor of Highways (that is, to ensure that public roads were kept in good repair)".
  
The table below is from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer on Page 5.


The following table of his appointments shows he was very active in the affairs of the village.

     Year         Position
     1708         Overseer
     1712         Church Warden
     1713         Church Warden
     1714         Church Warden
     1715         Church Warden
     1717         Surveyor of Highways
     1718         Church Warden
     1719         Church Warden
     1728         Church Warden
     1729         Church Warden
     1732         Overseer
     1733         Church Warden
     1734         Church Warden
     1735         Church Warden
     1736         Church Warden
     1737         Church Warden 

The following extracts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer Page 5 -7.

"Throughout the Vestry Books there are various mentions of William and his duties. In 1708 there was a rather interesting "taxpayer's revolt". The local government had passed a resolution saying that tithes should be paid for the year 1707. Another group objected: "We under­written do protest against this day's proceedings". Among the signers was William. They apparently won a partial victory, for a resolution was later passed which stated that the tithe would be paid at half-rate for the year past but full for the next year. (William also signed this)

In 1724 he paid three pounds for two years of labour. In those times each villager had to perform a certain amount of labour each year for the parish. However, the more affluent, like William, could pay to have someone else fulfill their duties. 

The next series of records we can look at are the Parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials and, at the same time, we can blend in the many Apprenticeship records on the family.

For years, England had an apprenticeship system, which provided training for many of the trades and crafts.  With no universal school system, this was the only way that the middleclass families could educate or train their children for a good trade. Basically the procedure was that the parents made a payment to the tradesman to take his son or daughter as an apprentice.  In return, the tradesman would house and feed the apprentice, teach him the trade, and perhaps pay him a small wage.  The apprenticeship normally ran for seven years, after which the apprentice could legally ply the trade he had learned.

Although many of the Apprenticeship documents have been lost, the Society of Genealogists in London has an almost complete record from 1710 to 1762.  They have indexed these both for Apprentices and Masters, which allowed us to find the Olneys quickly.

The first child born to William and Sarah was a daughter, also Sarah, christened on 2 March 1707/08 and who later married George Crawley.    The next child and first son was William, christened 15 March 1708/09. Although his apprenticeship cannot be found we learn (from William's will and land transactions) that he became a butcher in Northaw and married Joan Doards.

Until 1752, Lady Day on 25 March of each year was the day when the calendar New Year started, rather than 1 January as we now have it.  The result is that people born between 1 January and 25 March prior to 1752 have two birth years, old and current New Year start date.













































Another son, Justus, was christened on 13 February 1710/11 and married Elizabeth Mobbs on 11 June 1751. Justus, the son of William of Codicote, was apprenticed to Henry Glover senior as a coachmaker. William payed twenty-six pounds, five shillings for the apprenticeship. Justus, in turn, established himself as a coachmaker in St. Luke, Middlesex, and we find him taking apprentices in 1743, 1752, 1754, 1757 and 1759. 
        
The third son, John, was christened on 13 December 1712. He became a rather successful butcher in London. Although his appren­ticeship papers cannot be located, records show him taking apprentices on five occasions - 1742, 1745, 1748, 1753 and 1762, charging between ten and fifteen pounds for each of them. When one of his children was buried in Codicote in 1745, he was referred to as "Mr. John Olney of London".

James was christened on 21 November 1714 and he married Ruth Dean on 31 May 1744.

Thomas was christened on 7 January 1716/17, and had one son, Henry, named after his brother, who was apprenticed as a coachmaker in 1737 for twenty-one pounds.  Also, among the miscellaneous paper which have somehow survived over the years, we find an affidavit completed by Thomas in 1754: "Thomas Olney of Codicote, born in the parish, his father a considerable landholder in the said parish, remembers that for grass seeds the tithes has been paid to the impropriator and that himself about years since he let a field called the Haydon close stand for grass seeds viz. tray foil or black grass.  The tithes for the grass seeds was taken in kind by Mr.Black the executor tenant to the impropriator".


Thomas was christened on 7 January 1716/17, and had one son, Henry, named after his brother, who was apprenticed as a coachmaker in 1737 for twenty-one pounds. Also, among the miscellaneous papers which have somehow survived over the years, we find an affidavit completed by Thomas in 1754: "Thomas Olney of Codicote, born in the parish, his father a considerable landholder in the said parish, remembers that for grass seeds the tithes has been paid to the impropriator & that himself about years since he let a field called the Haydon close stand for grass seeds viz. tray foil or black grass. The tithes for the grass seeds was taken in kind by Mr. Black the executor tenant to the impropriator." 

Also a Mr. Jas. Pilgrim stated "Particularly in the year 1738 the year he took of Mr. Olney (late Mr. Hale's tenant) a field called Mayfield then rented by said Mr. Olney..."

Henry was christened 2 February 1717/18 and died 30 May 1740 at Codicote. His sister Martha was christened on 10 April 1720.

Rachel was christened on 5 May 1722 and died in infancy on 12 April 1723. 
 
The next son was Samuel, christened 3 July 1723. 

Another son, Joshua, was christened 30 October 1727, but we find a rather sad burial entry on 22 January 1730: "Olney, Joshua, an infant 3 years old suffocated acciden­tally in a mud hole".

The last child was Jemima, christened 6 November 1728. She married Simon Folbigg on 21 June 1748 at Redbourn. 

We also find another Jemima Olney apprenticed in 1756 as a manteau maker (a manteau was a woman's cloak); almost certainly she was the daughter of one of the Olney sons.

William's will has been located, which was not filed locally but in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, where the wills of the more well-to-do were often handled. Although the will does not help us to extend the family back, it does confirm William's standing in the community and provides us with other information.

William, (christened 1676 and died 1752), the father of the above children, referred to himself as a Yeoman which was a general term for a man of the most respectable class, often a freeholder of land. William certainly held land!

He listed his various properties as follows:
"A copyhold estate in Codicote formerly Mr. William Pinns" (Land was usually identified by citing its former owner).
"Two closes of land as I purchased of Mr. John Ford in Codicote" (A close was a parcel of land enclosed by a wall or fence; a farmyard).
"A freehold tenement purchased of Robert King called the ‘Coach and Horses’ in Codicote”.
"Seven and a half acres of land lying in the common fields of Codicote purchased of David Jobin."
"Another seven and a half acres of land as above."

These last two properties were to go to his son William (christened 15 March 1708/09) as a "Marriage Settlement for his wife Joan". Again we have evidence of William's status in that only the more affluent provided Marriage Settlements.
 
His son-in-law, Simon Folbigg (husband of Jemima), was to receive forty pounds from the proceeds of the “Coach and Horses” Inn, plus a further sixty pounds.
His son, John Olney, was to receive six hundred and seventy pounds; to Mrs. North, three hundred pounds; to his daughter-in-law, Ruth Olney, one hundred and twenty-nine pounds; another two bequests of fifty pounds each. A Mr. Chapman got twenty-two pounds. His son Justus got fifty pounds.
A grandson, David Crawley, son of George and Sarah Crawley, was to receive all his wearing apparel, both linen and woollen. It gives us an idea of how different things were to read of clothing being willed. How many wills would we find nowadays specifying who was to get grandfather's clothes!

The rest of his goods were to be sold and divided among George Crawley, Thomas Olney, Samuel Olney, Simon Folbigg and Matthew Charles.

Then comes a strange clause: "…for the other three I think has no need of anything (God Almighty be blessed for it)." A. Gordon Keys assumed that the rest of the children were already well provided for. We note however that Henry died in 1740, Rachel in 1723 and Joshua in 1729/30 prior to William’s death in 1752.  

Finally, he appointed his sons, Thomas and Samuel Olney, and his son-in-law Simon Folbigg as executors.

We learn still a little more from the probate of the will. Two of his sons, William and Justus, swore to the authenticity of the handwriting on the will. They were identified as William Olney of Northaw (a nearby Parish), Butcher, and Justus Olney of St. Luke in Middlesex, Coachmaker. William's occupation as a butcher is of interest, since we have seen at least two of his sons were also butchers, and apparently the trade continued in the family". 

The table below is from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer on Page 7.
To gather some idea of the value of these legacies in those days, the following table of average annual incomes may be helpful.  

Annual income in Pounds:
  
     Baronets                                                880
     Knights                                                  650
     Esquires                                                450
     Eminent merchants and traders by sea  400       
     Gentlemen                                             280
     Persons in higher offices                        240
     Lesser merchants and traders by sea     198
     Persons in the law                                 154
     Persons in lesser offices                         120
     Freeholders of the better sort                   91
     Naval officers                                           80
     Eminent clergymen                                  72
     People in liberal arts/science                   60
     Military officers                                        60
     Freeholders of the lesser sort                   55
     Lesser clergymen                                     50
     Farmers                                                   42
     Shopkeepers & tradesmen                       38
     Artisans & handicrafts                             38
     Common seamen                                     20
     Labourers & out-servants                        15
     Common soldiers                                     14
     Cottagers & paupers                                  6
     Vagrants, as gypsies, theives & beggars     0    

The following extracts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Olney Page 7 - 9.
    
"From the amounts that William left we can see that he was in the wealthier class. The six hundred and seventy pounds left to his son John would represent 15 years of income for a shopkeeper, not even considering the interest!

As mentioned earlier, reference to the "Coach and Horses" led to some interesting family information. In the Hertford Record Office there is a collection of title documents of this property (reference D/Emm T 48-9). From this stack of parchment documents (almost a foot high) we have a history of the land for most of the 1700s.

Probably, from the name, it was originally an inn, but it is described as two tenements. We will not try to explore the mysteries of English land transactions but briefly, in 1710, William (1676) Olney, butcher of Codicote, purchased the property for one hundred and twenty-two pounds. At the same time he sold to "Richard Olney, butcher of Luton in trust for the said William Olney, to attend and wait upon the freehold and inheritance of the said premises." What they were doing is: Richard (1682), William’s brother, would technically hold the property until his death, at which time it would pass back to William (1709), son of William and Sarah.

In 1732, William (1676), the elder, and Sarah Brownsell his wife made an agreement under a marriage contract (as mentioned in William's will). The deed recites that a marriage had recently taken place between William (1708/9) Olney, the younger, and Joan Doards. In consideration of this marriage and one hundred pounds, the property went to William the younger, but William the elder and his wife were able to live there until their deaths. This type of arrange­ment was fairly common. It passed the property into the son's hands but provided a home for the parents until their deaths.

In 1754 William (1709) gave the land to his only son and heir, Oshea Olney. 

In 1768 Oshea leased the land to his Uncle Justus Olney, and in that same year Oshea and Justus sold the property. So the property had remained in the family over three generations. Oshea, incidentally, al­though shown as a cheesemonger in these transactions, had been appren­ticed in 1758 as a haberdasher!

It was unfortunate, from Samuel's point of view, that he was the sixth surviving son. Although William was almost certainly well-to-do, the English inheritance customs are that the eldest son gets the majority of the land, title, whatever. As the seventh son, Samuel probably received a smaller share when he married Sarah Folbigg in 1747.

There was a little confusion over Sarah's maiden name. One source shows it as Hollbigg, another as Folbigg. However, thanks to the refer­ence to Simon Folbigg as son-in-law in William's will, we are on firm ground with Folbigg. The problem almost certainly arose over the way some people of the time wrote a capital letter 'F'. Often there was the top stroke with two downstrokes which could easily be mistaken for an 'H'. Another marriage reference, however, shows her name as Willis. Probab­ly she was a widow and one was her married name and the other her maiden name. To avoid confusion we will show it as Folbigg.

Samuel followed in his father's footsteps as a butcher. In 1749, shortly after his marriage, he took an apprentice for ten pounds. 

Samuel and Sarah had four children christened in Codicote before they moved to Gravely. As mentioned, Samuel probably received little from his father's estate when he died in 1752. With a wife and three children, he needed greener pastures and moved to Gravely. In those days, each parish supported its own paupers or elderly. To ensure one parish would not "unload" its poor on a nearby parish, a person had to secure Settlement Certificate before moving.

However we should not assume that Samuel was a pauper. Anyone moving had to secure such a certificate, despite their degree of affluence.
 
Fortunately the Settlement Certificate for Samuel and his family has survived. It is interesting to note that his brother Thomas signed the certificate as Overseer in Codicote.

Another four children were born to Samuel and Sarah in Gravely. Interestingly, a son Justus (Justice) was born but died in infancy and the next son was given the same name".


"George & Dragon" in Gravely taken 2007
The following extracts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney compiled by Keith R.Collyer Page 10 - 11.

"The family of Richard (1682) Olney (Oaney) would have had similar experiences to his brother William (1676) Olney (Ouney), since Richard lived in Luton, Bedfordshire and William lived in Codicote, Hertfordshire only 7.7 miles away. Richard is the ancestor of Charles who was married to Martha Purser, the subjects of this book "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney", and the blogs.

We continue our history from the christening of Francis Olney, sourced from the 1851 Census at Pulloxhill. The 1851 Census for the first time recorded birth places and precise ages of English residents. This showed Francis Olney was born at Harpenden, Hertfordshire in 1778.

His parents married at Enfield St. Andrew, London where the first four children were born.

In this same Parish register, a page or two away from Francis' christening, there are a couple of interesting pages titled: "List of ancient Cus­tomary Fees payable to the Clergyman of the Parish of Harpenden". Not only the clergyman, but also the clerk and sexton were provided for. Most of the charges are self-explanatory, but a word on a couple that most of us may not be familiar with.
"Churching of women". Childbirth in those days was fraught with danger, and mothers went through a religious ceremony following the safe delivery of a child. The wording is still contained in the Book of Common Prayer under "The thanksgiving of women after child-birth": "The woman… after her delivery, shall come into the Church decently apparelled, and there shall kneel down in some convenient place as hath been accustomed..." and then follows a brief service of thanks. 

We also notice that, contrary to the usual idea of 'buried six feet under', the sexton's usual grave was three-and-a-half feet deep. If ordered to dig deeper, then an additional shilling for every additional foot".

The following Charts are from "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" compiled by Keith R.Collyer on Page 13 - 15.

Olney Family Tree from 1549, showing incorrect line on left and correct line on right

 

THE CHILDREN OF WILLIAM OLNEY (OUNEY) AND SARAH BROWNSELL

 

WILLIAM OLNEY (OUNEY)* (butcher and yeoman) son of William Oney and EIizabeth Carter, chr. 7 December 1676, Luton. buried 5 April 1752 Codicote, Hertfordshire. Married 25 April 1707, Codicote, Hertfordshire to Sarah Brownsell, buried 12 April 1747, Codicote, Hertfordshire aged 63 years
* Recorded as Wm. Oney at Marriage

1.      SARAH ONEY chr. 9 January 1707/8, Codicote, married to George Crawley (died 2 January        1755)

1)   David Crawley chr. 19 September 1734, Codicote, Hertfordshire

2.      WILLIAM ONEY chr. 15 March 1708/9 (butcher), Codicote, Hertfordshire married to Joan Doards

1)   Oshea Olney

3.       JUSTUS ONEY chr. 13 February 1710/11 (coachmaker), Codicote, married on 11 June 1751 at St Anne and St. Agnes, Aldersgate, London to Elizabeth Mobbs

4.       JOHN OLNEY chr. 31 December 1712 (butcher), Codicote, Hertfordshire

5.       JAMES OLNEY chr. 2l October 1714, Codicote, Hertfordshire

6.       THOMAS OLNEY chr. 7 January 1716/7, Codicote, Hertfordshire

7.       HENRY OLNEY chr. 2 February 1717/8, Codicote, Hertfordshire, buried 30 May 1740 at Codicote, Hertfordshire

8.       MARTHA OLNEY chr. 10 April 1720, Codicote, Hertfordshire

9.       RACHEL OLNEY chr. 25 June 1722, Codicote, Hertfordshire, buried 12 April 1723 at Codicote, Hertfordshire

10.     SAMUEL OLNEY chr. 3 July 1723 [butcher), Codicote, married on 11 January 1747, at Bedford, Beds. to Sarah Folbigg of Dunton born 1724 died 1786

11.    JOSHUA OLNEY chr. 3O October 1727, Codicote, Hertfordshire, buried 22 January 1729/30 at Codicote, Hertfordshire

12.     JEMIMA OLNEY chr. 6 November 1728, Codicote, married on 21 June
1748 at Redboum, Hertfordshire to Simon Folbigg


THE CHILDREN OF SAMUEL OLNEY AND SARAH FOLBIGG


1.       JAMES OLNEY chr. 6 February 1748, Codicote married to Ann

1)   James Olney chr. 13 January 1771, St Sepulchre, London

2)   Ann Olney chr. 18 September 1775, St Sepulchre, London

3)   Mary Louisa Olney chr. 8 March 1778, St Sepulchre, London

4)   Sarah Olney chr. 9 January 1780, St Sepulchre, London

2.      WILLIAM OLNEY chr. 29 July 1750, Codicote, Hertfordshire

3.      MARY OLNEY chr. 3O September 1751, Codicote, Hertfordshire

4.      SARAH OLNEY chr. 19 August 1753, Codicote, Hertfordshire

5.      ELIZABETH OLNEY chr. 16 November 1755, Gravely, Hertfordshire

6.      JUSTUS OLNEY chr. 11 July 1758, Gravely, Hertfordshire

7.      GUSTIVE OLNEY chr. 6 January 1760, Gravely, Hertfordshire (chr. again as Justus, lO January 1760)

8.      SAMUEL OLNEY chr. 12 October 1762, Gravely, Hertfordshire (chr. again 17 October 1762) 


THE CHILDREN OF RICHARD OLNEY (OANEY) AND MARY CLARK

 


RICHARD OLNEY (OANEY) chr. 19 May 1682, married 8 April 1706 Luton Beds.to Mary Clarke buried 25 December 1754, Luton, Beds

   1.       MARY OLNEY chr. 1 June 1707, Luton, Bedfordshire

   2.       ABRAHAM OLNEY buried 26 March 1708

   3.       RICHARD OLNEY born Luton circa 1710, buried. 5 February 1789 at Luton, married 22 April 1731 at Ayot St Peter, Herts (3km south of Codicote), Jane Tomlin, chr. 24 June 1711 Wheathampstead, Herts, buried 25 November1790 at Luton, Bedfordshire

             1)       John Olney chr. 17 March 1731/2, buried 6 February 1732/3

             2)       John Olney chr. 29 March 1734

             3)       Richard Olney chr. 25 April 1735

             4)       Mary Olney chr. 14 July 1736

             5)       Sarah Olney chr. 22 November 1738

             6)       William Olney chr. 21 January 1739/40

             7)       Ann Olney chr. 22 July 1741

             8)       Elizabeth Olney chr. 28 November 1742

             9)       Thomas Olney chr. 18 April 1744


             10)    JAMES OLNEY chr. 2 August 1745 at Luton St Mary, buried in 1819 at Clophill, married 15 November 1767 at Enfield St. Andrew, London to Anne French chr. 24 February 1747/8 at Enfield St Andrew, buried in 1800 at Clophill, Bedfordshire
 
             11)       Jane Olney chr. 3 October 1746

             12)       Samuel Olney chr. 13 August 1749

             13)       George Olney chr. 25 September 1751

4.          WILLIAM ONEY married 7 October 1734, Luton Beds. to Sarah Clarke

5.          JANE OLNEY married 5 January 1723/4, Luton Beds. to John Oakey/Oakley

6.          SARAH OLNEY buried 18 September 1720, Luton

7.          THOMAS OLNEY buried 15 May 1723, Luton 

8.          ESTHER OLNEY chr. 27 November 1717, Luton

9.          ANN OLNEY chr. 17 September 1721, Luton

10.       ELIZABETH OLNEY chr. 27 November 1726, Luton 

11.       SARAH OLNEY chr. 27 November 1726, Luton

12.       male OLNEY buried 5 October 1729, Luton


       THE CHILDREN OF JAMES OLNEY AND ANNE FRENCH 

   
1.          JAMES OLNEY chr. 10 January 1769 at Enfield St. Andrew, London

2.          JOSEPH OLNEY chr. 30 December 1770 at Enfield St. Andrew, London

3.          JOHN OLNEY chr. 21 October 1772 at Enfield St. Andrew, London

4.          WILLIAM OLNEY chr. 28 December 1774 at Enfield St. Andrew, London

5.          THOMAS OLNEY buried 18 November 1785 at Clophill, Bedfordshire

6.          FRANCIS OLNEY born 16 August 1778 at Harpenden, chr. 6 September 1778, buried 24    October 1856 at Pulloxhill.

Married1. 12 October 1801, Elizabeth Irons, daughter of John and Elizabeth Irons, chr. 12 January 1783 at Pulloxhill, buried. 1 February 1828,

Married2. 7 November 1835, Hannah Arnold, buried. 12 April 1873.

7.          JANE OLNEY born 26 April 1780, chr. 21 May 1780 at Harpenden, buried 2 September 1783.

8.      RICHARD OLNEY born 20 February 1782, chr.10 March 1782 at Harpenden, Hertfordshire

I acknowledge and give credit to the copyright work of Keith R.Collyer (deceased) in his book "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney". Pages 2 - 15.

Please note: Ross Olney is the keeper of the Olney family tree.  If you have information that needs to be corrected or added to please email Ross - rosco.olney@gmail.com

You can order your own hard copy of  "The Family of Charles and Martha Olney" by clicking on -
http://olneygenealogy.weebly.com

If you wish to contact the author of these Olney Family Archives blogs with corrections or further information please email Joy Olney - joyolney@gmail.com

These blogs have been written as another way of sharing the Olney family history with those interested.  They do not cover all branches.  My interest primarily is with the "David" Olney branch with parents Charles and Martha Olney.  

Peter and Joy Olney were fortunate enough to visit England in 2007 and visited many of the churches, places, houses and villages written about in the books by Keith Collyer and A.Gordon Keys.  More recent generations in Australia are also included in the Olney Family Archives blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment